Mediator Umran Sadiq
CAREER AND PERSONAL OVERVIEW
From a grammar school background Umran studied law in Leicester and Birmingham. He commenced his training contract at Southall & Co solicitors (Birmingham) in 1996 and upon qualification as a solicitor in 1998 was entrusted with a management role at one of the Firm’s offices. In 1999 he joined Davisons Solicitors (Birmingham) and within one year was running the civil litigation group at the Firm. He became a partner in 2004 and currently manages two key offices. He continues to head the litigation team and is also responsible for the Firm’s risk management and professional indemnity affairs.
Umran acquired accreditation as a mediator from ADR Chambers (UK) Ltd and is a member of the Association of Midlands Mediators as well as a mediation panel member of Effective Dispute Solutions Limited.
Umran has a wide range of experience in general civil and commercial litigation with a particular specialism in construction and property disputes, professional and clinical negligence cases, personal injury, contested probate and Inheritance Act claims and employment issues.
Working in the litigation field Umran has also acted as a Solicitor Advocate on numerous occasions including successfully representing clients at trial.
The substantial experience acquired as a mediator, solicitor and advocate, in addition to key skills as a negotiator in litigation, with good interpersonal skills enhance the abilities necessary as a mediator to provide parties with great prospects of successfully settling their dispute at mediation.
Umran has been involved in numerous mediations covering a wide variety of areas in general civil and commercial litigation, acting in both a representative capacity and as mediator and/or assistant mediator. Examples of a few of the mediations include:
- Commercial dispute between hotel owners and architect about delay in preparation of plans and obtaining planning permission for hotel extension (£2 million claim);
- Construction dispute between a property owner and builder with regard to standard of refurbishment works (£500,000 claim);
- Commercial Lease dispute for forfeiture with possession action in relation to a public house with counterclaim for breach of trade support agreement and misrepresentation;
- Commercial dispute arising from illegal forfeiture action with counterclaim for payment and apportionment of rental liability (£100,000 claim);
- Professional negligence claim against a firm of solicitors for under-settling of personal injury claim for their client (£25,000 claim);
- Disputed probate and Inheritance Act claim brought by former wife against the Deceased\\\’s Estate;
- Employer and employee dispute involving respective disciplinary and grievance procedures being pursued;
- Family dispute between brother and sister in relation to testamentary wishes of parent in contested Will and in relation to running of family business;
- Contractual dispute between builder and property owner in relation to works, fees levied, disputed additional fees with counterclaim for refund of monies (£300,000 counter-claim).
SOLICITOR ADVOCATE EXPERIENCE
Umran has successfully represented clients as their Advocate at trial, such as for:
- Claimant in securing full indemnity in a Part 20 Claim against him for the recovery of hire charges paid to hire company asserted by him to have been fraudulently claimed;
- Claimant in pursuit of personal injury claim under the Occupiers Liability Act and against employer for failing to comply with relevant Health and Safety legislation.
- Good interpersonal communication skills.
- Additional spoken languages: Urdu, Punjabi and Hindi.
- Personal Professional liability insurance as a Mediator.
To appoint this mediator please call 0800 246 1218 or email [email protected]